January 16, 2009

The Rain Has Taken Its Toll

The incessant rain for the past week finally took its toll in Miri when a landslide seriously damaged a petrol station in the early hours this morning. Road traffic was slow as I headed towards town around 9:30am. I later realized that the jam was caused by a temporary road closure. Pockets of concerned people were already there when I reached the site. Two units of excavators and teams of men were working frantically. I asked a fireman standing next to me what they were searching for and he resignedly told me that they were looking for casualties. You can see a wooden shed (in blue) perched precariously at the edge of the slope. I hope it has been evacuated. The ambulance vehicles were on standby. The heavy rains had caused the uphill area behind the petrol station to be saturated of water for the past week. This resulted the slope being unable to withhold the extra pressure. I guess the feather that broke the camel's back was last night's pouring rain.

*Update @ 2:00pm from Bernama.

5 comments:

Bengbeng said...

Keep us updated on this. Thanks.

I Am Sarawakiana said...

Unstable or disturbed hillslopes and lots of continuous rain equal landslide. this is one of man's tragedies these days.

May God help the casualties.

Anonymous said...

Yo James. Passed by at 8.00am there was already a jam though road still open.
Washing our new cars at this station. The car wash fellow (Ah Lai) is an extremely nice person.
Hope he will be able to operate from a temporary site soon. Have not yet spoken to him though. I believe the 2 killed are his employees.
Let's pray for all those affected
Leonard

Anonymous said...

Ooo...so many people kaypo! Hope they did not block the rescus operations. Very often the case, like in a fire, the fire engines caught in a jam and can;t reach the place....

Anonymous said...

James: When are you coming? I need to book the place for gathering. Probably will be LOT 9 Cafe.